Pages

Monday, July 1, 2019

Some Coop Progress

Lol, when I arranged to buy chickens a couple months ago, I really didn't think that they'd get their home before mine was ready to live in!  But that's the way things are looking...we've been hustling to finish the coop, because the deadline to pick them up is rapidly approaching!!

So today, I worked on the coop all day!

I arrived bright and early because my truck was in the shop, and Dad had to be somewhere later that morning, so he dropped me off on my land around 7.  The lighting is beautiful at that time of the morning.  :)  


First I had to empty the coop, because we've been using it to store the tools that we leave on site, as well as a number of other random things we've accumulated.  

Lol, my pictures today are pretty boring - here's a shot of the empty coop!  :P


Next I spent quite a long time attempting to seal all the little holes in the building.  This involved work on both the exterior and interior.  I added a couple pieces of wood on the outside, and used caulk and spray foam insulation on the inside.  Then I started adding insulation and covering it with random boards.  


I mounted the little cupboard thing on the wall; I'm going to modify it a bit to turn it into a nesting box.  

I also started adding a bit of chicken wire here and there as part of an enclosure.  You're supposed to bury the wire so predators can't dig under.  I'm hoping to eventually encircle the coop and pen with the dog fence so that the dogs can protect against predators to some extent, but since I'm not sure when the dogs and I will be moving in, I figured I'd better do some digging, lol.  



I still need to:

-Install at least one window (and put mesh on the outside so critters can't get in)
-finish insulating
-install perches
-install weather stripping around the door
-buy and put down shavings
-buy/make something to store the chicken feed
-find out if the chicks can drink my well water
-finish the enclosure

And then after all that, I can work on MY house, lol!!!

Happy Monday!  :P

1 comment: