Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The Elusive Fiddleheads

This afternoon I went tramping on my land, with the idea of rousting up a mess of fiddleheads to have with my supper. Alas, I was unsuccessful - unless there's a patch hiding in some secluded corner, it would appear that I don't have the right kind of fiddleheads on my property. 

What are fiddleheads? They're young ostrich ferns. While many ferns come up in the shape of a fiddlehead before they grow tall and unfurl, most are inedible. But ostrich ferns, when properly cooked, are a spring delicacy. I've actually never had them fresh... I've had them pickled a time or two.

I found at least three other kinds of ferns, though!




You see all kinds of things when you're watching the forest floor - things you otherwise might not notice. For example, the Mayflowers are blooming. :)


Some sort of bell-shaped flower:


I helped myself to a snack of Wintergreen berries. They're sweet and slightly minty, and have kind of a dry texture.



Even a dead leaf can be glorious if the lighting is right.


Here's a section of the little creek that flows through a corner of my property.


Oh, and I found moose poop, lol!!


I didn't touch it; I just held my hand close to show scale. :P

Big rock being eaten by an angry old stump:


And...a couple shots of the puppies. They're getting so big - several are over 5 pounds now!!!




Ignore the woodchips... it's a losing battle. 😬

Anyway, I hope everyone had an awesome day! Happy Wednesday!! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment