Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Butterscotch FARM!!

Hooray!!  Butterscotch Farm finally has its first livestock!!  

Last night, I drove a couple hours south to pick up a dozen six-week-old Icelandic chicks (and ended up with 14 because the breeder kindly snagged me a couple less-related roosters from a friend so that I can have more genetic diversity in my flock).  They are SO cute...I think I'm in love with chickens.  ❤

Here's a whole bunch of photos...the first batch of many, no doubt, lol.



This one below is one of the two slightly older roosters...I'm calling him Big Blue for now because he's twice the size of most of the other chicks, and because his feathers have a kind of blue-ish tint, lol.  :P


The tan one at the bottom of the picture below is the second older rooster:


I have no idea whether the one in the below photo is a hen or a rooster, but for now, I'm assuming she's a hen, and I'm calling her Little Miss Floofle, because she often keeps her feathers fluffed out slightly.  I'm keeping an eye on her, because I think that can sometimes mean the bird isn't doing well, but I've seen her eat, drink, and chase down a mosquito...so I'm thinking she's probably okay.


So far she's got the most personality of the bunch - when I move around, 13 of the chicks jam themselves into the corner and peep frantically, but Little Miss Floofle just kind of chills and hangs out separate from the rest of them.


Lol, maybe her name should be Little Miss Independent.


Anyway, I hope everyone has a great holiday tomorrow!

P.S. - A million, zillion thanks to Dad, who installed windows in the coop yesterday so that the chicks could have ventilation!!!!  ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment