Pages

Friday, July 5, 2019

More Chick Photos and General Updates

I'm delighted to say that I've managed to keep all 14 chicks alive for their first 2 days in my care...that's a good sign, right?  :P 

This is despite a mishap this morning where one of the little blackish/grayish ones got out, and it took me a good 15-20 minutes to catch her.  I finally got her after crawling up onto my huge brush pile, lol.  Dad had to help me get back down off the brush pile, since I was holding the chicken.

Here are a few photos from yesterday and today.  This little chickie wins the prize for most stylish hair:


Pretty colors:


The black one on the right might be the one that got out this morning:


Big Blue may not have the coolest hair, but he makes up for it with his stature!! 


And here's Little Miss Floofle...she's still a bit fluffy here and there, and still very independent.  There's actually a chance that she's a special needs chicken!!  And lest anyone speak ill of the breeder, he has offered to replace her if she is a hen, and if she continues to be slow as an adult.  (If she's actually a rooster, she will likely eventually go the way of all spare roosters...which is a little sad, but of course is what happens on working homesteads.)


Here she is scratching for feed:


And here she is showing her independent side...while all her compatriots huddle in the corner because I made a sudden move, she calmly grabs a snack.  I find this rather endearing...but these birds need to be flighty if they're to be successful free-rangers and not get eaten by predators.  So we shall see how things go with Little Miss Floofle.


In other news, I primed my pump yesterday, and filled a 5-gallon bucket.  It took me probably 3-4 minutes.  Lol, I'm going to build up some good muscles from pumping water!  :P  The water is still coming out quite dirty...I probably ought to spend a long time pumping it sometime and see if it clears up.  Otherwise, I might need to get a filter.


Dad has still been steadily picking away at projects on the days I've been at work, though the heat has been brutal - it's been in the upper 80s/lower 90s lately, and there's not nearly as much shade on the dome deck as I had hoped.  Yesterday he made excellent progress on the platform, even bolting down the dome frame.  There's a chance that tomorrow might be the day we try to put the dome back up, though I won't be able to be there the whole day, as I work in the afternoon/evening.  But if anyone local wants to participate in a good, old-fashioned dome raising (LOL!!), feel free to check with me for directions to my land!  :P  


Happy Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment