Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Well, That's a Start!

Tomorrow is Domesday!  :D  

I was on my land for a good chunk of the day today preparing...I brought the last of the cinder blocks over from their forsaken corner, and then spent a while putting gravel under them and trying to get them more or less level.


I've decided to try to use the platform that's already under the dome, rather than building a new one.  The platform is a very interesting shape, though, so I had to really think about where to put the cinder blocks.  Hopefully I've got them at least pretty close to where they should go!

I also started a new project, unrelated to the moving of the dome, but VERY related to moving into the dome eventually - I'm installing a sand point well.


Also called a driven well, this works well in sandy soil and in locations with a fairly high water table.  The shorter pipe on the right, with the blue point, is the well point.  It has a heavy, pointed metal head, and the pipe itself has a bunch of holes with two layers of mesh over it to allow water in, but filter out sand.  You drive it into the ground with a sledge hammer or pile driver, attaching lengths of pipe as you go, until it's 20-25 feet deep.  Then (assuming you've hit water), you can attach a pump - and you've got an inexpensive, shallow well!


It's a good idea to dig a starter hole with a post-hole digger or auger.


Here's the pump I bought, along with the couplings for attaching the lengths of pipe:


The little blue thing in the above photo is a special cap that you attach to the top of each length of pipe so that you don't destroy the pipe threads pounding them with a sledge hammer.

And here's the progress I made on driving the point in....lol, this is going to take a while!




Anyway, I'm excited to see what we can get done tomorrow with moving the dome!  :D  

No comments:

Post a Comment