Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Farewell, Trees...

I had a contractor stop by today to give me an estimate on installing my gray water system.  He said that it's pretty uncomplicated, but as long as they've got the heavy equipment out there, it might be a decent idea for me to have them pull a few stumps and dump some gravel on my driveway.  I figured that sounded reasonable.  So that'll happen sometime in the next couple of weeks...probably after I get my next paycheck, lol.

Timothy and I then spent the next few hours cutting down trees around the dome site.  I thought maybe we should do that now, rather than once the dome is up, since I am not well practiced in getting trees to fall in a particular direction, and it would be a real shame to squish my dome.  ;)

Lol, the following photos are not a very helpful before/after, since they're taken days apart and they're not from the same angle...but maybe they'll give some sense of what was accomplished today:

Before....this was taken uphill from the dome site, looking down toward the gray water system site:


And this is from today, taken from the driveway.  The dome site is uphill to the left, and the gray water system site is over to the right.  I'll have to get a better "after" picture the next time I'm out there.


I'll probably be cutting down most of the trees on the four acres that I took out of timber tax, so this is just the start.  Eventually, I'd like for the four acres to be mostly pasture, with a few nice big deciduous trees left for shade.  Many of the trees are bent or tipped over anyway, so they would have needed to come down in any case.

Next week, we'll be trying to figure out how to build a new deck for the dome from all the scraps of lumber we salvaged from its former site!!  I may avoid taking photos of the deck Timothy and I come up with, so as to avoid giving a heart attack to any viewers who ACTUALLY know how to build things.  ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment