Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Details

My sister Rachel and I went out to my property again today; we spent longer there this time, and I tried to pay attention to the details.  






The stuff below is Wintergreen, also known as Checkermint, Teaberry, and a few other names.  I just looked it up, and apparently it works nearly as well as aspirin to relieve pain - though, interestingly, it also comes with the same potential risks of aspirin.  I just like to snap a leaf in half once in a while and enjoy the minty fragrance.  :)  


A nice boulder.  Interestingly, even though my land is only about 20 minutes east of where I currently live, this rock seems to be of a very different type than what you find in the woods here.  


Fiddleheads!  As long as they come from the Ostrich Fern, you can harvest them (while they're still curled) and boil them, steam them, or saute them!  (We also sell them pickled at the store where I work.)  


Bluets...one of my favorites: 


Ground pine:  


We saw a lot of frogs!  That makes me wonder if some of the marshy areas on the property stick around all year long.


Part of the reason for today's visit was searching for a good place for my future house.  The most logical decision would be to use the clearing...but that corner of the property is close to my neighbors, and I'd love to have a little privacy.  Anywhere else I choose, I would have to clear out a lot of small trees, and the cost to run power lines will be greater.  I'm also somewhat limited by all the marshy areas.  I was thinking about this little rise...it's the highest point of land, so it ought to stay dry.  Plus, it's got a logging road that runs right next to it, which (with a little stump pulling) could be turned into a driveway.


In other news, the ticks are out - big time!!  Rachel and I were glad that we didn't bring the dogs along; they would have been covered!!!  It wasn't too bad for most of the walk, but when we went down by the creek, suddenly the ticks were everywhere - gross!!!

I still love my little creek, but I'll have to do some clearing along the banks to reduce the tick population.  


Oh, and in OTHER news...we used the machete today.  :D

(I think my arms are going to be sore tomorrow...)

Happy Tuesday!  Don't forget to stop and appreciate the details every once in a while.  :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment