Pages

Monday, May 21, 2018

Breed Profile #8: Oberhasli Goats

It's been quite a while since I've done a breed profile!  Now that I have land, I'm starting to get more serious in my research regarding what farm animals I'll be raising eventually.  It'll still probably be next spring/summer before I can get any goats, chickens, or pigs, but I'm collecting information and learning where breeders are now.  

Today's goat breed is right near the top of my list; honestly, it's probably between this goat breed and maybe one or two other breeds.  Not to say I won't ever try a different breed, but I've got to pick one to get started with!  :P

Anyway....

The goats in the following photos belong to Worth the Wait Farm in Denmark, Maine.  

Breed Profile #8: Oberhasli Goats


Oberhaslis are an interesting breed - though there are plenty of them in their native country, Switzerland, they are recovering from near-extinction in the United States because for a long time, they could only be registered as a similar breed called the Alpine, even though they have distinct and valuable characteristics of their own.  A few dedicated people kicked off the effort to preserve the breed; the Oberhasli gained its proper name (it was formerly called the Swiss Alpine) and its own herdbook in the late 1970s, and has been slowly increasing in numbers and followers since then.


A medium-sized breed, the females range from 120-150 pounds, and the males can get as large as 175 pounds.  Mature does should stand at least 28 inches at the withers, and bucks should be 30 inches or taller...a couple inches shorter than most full-size dairy goat breeds.


Oberhaslis, also known as Obers, have a distinct color pattern called chamoisee - brown (ranging from tan to a rich bay color) with black markings.  Apparently you can occasionally get an all-black goat; if it's a doe, she can be registered, but black bucks may not be registered.  


One of my favorite characteristics, and one of the main reasons that I'm considering Obers as my first goat breed on Butterscotch Farm, is that they're known for having a calm, friendly, gentle temperament.  And unlike some breeds, they're not necessarily habitual escape artists.  


Their milk is sweet, with a medium butterfat content, good for making cheese.  The owner of these Obers also makes goat milk soaps and lotions - something I'd like to try doing as well at some point.  






This breed is also a good choice if you've ever wanted a pack goat to tote some stuff around!  I'll have to tell my Dad, who insists on carrying half his library around with him in a couple briefcases that are the size of small suitcases.  :D  (Hi, Dad...)

Anyway...I'm really liking the sound of the Oberhasli.  I probably would only need a couple to satisfy the needs of my little homestead.  I do want to investigate a couple more breeds before making any final decisions, but the Oberhasli is definitely a top contender!


Happy Monday, everyone!!  :)  

2 comments:

  1. Striking.
    Noticed they can have different eye coloring. I like the black lower legs. Have you considered Alpaca for the fur?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, I haven't seriously considered Alapacas so far, but I have pictures of them, so I'll have to do a breed profile sometime. :) If I were to get fiber animals, I'd probably do either sheep or Cashmere goats.

    ReplyDelete