Pages

Monday, April 29, 2019

Cinder Blocks Unite!!

I got in a few hours on the land earlier...finished "clearing" the dome site.  This is an interesting process, because parts of the perimeter look like this:  


You have to figure out which tree is on top, and remove that one first.  I experimented today with using a bow saw instead of the axe, and it worked beautifully.  Lol, it'll be even nicer when I get around to dragging my chainsaw out there!

After that, I spent a good long while lugging my cinder blocks up to the dome site, and placed them in a carefully-measured 20 foot circle.  Doesn't it look kind of like a giant fire pit?  ;)


It occurred to me afterward that I might want to move the blocks a few inches further out, so that the beams holding up the dome are resting on the center of the cinder blocks, rather than on their edges.  Plus, they'll need to be leveled quite a bit.  But it was fun to lay them out and see how it looked.  

In the photo below, I'm standing on the dome site and looking toward where the gray water system will go.  You probably can't see the neon pink tape in this small photo, so I circled it the approximate location.  By my rough measurement, it's about 50 feet away.  Apparently there's supposed to be 1/4" drop for every foot of pipe, but that shouldn't be a problem since the dome site ended up being a bit higher than I had originally planned.


And here's the view to the road, with my parked truck circled.  I'm happy with the privacy of this location; it should be even better when the deciduous trees leaf out.  


I'm not totally sure what the next step is....I guess maybe leveling the cinder blocks, and bringing a few more in.  I should probably also see if I can smooth out the skid trail a bit so vehicles can get closer to the dome site.  Once those two things are done, I think we'll theoretically be ready to work on moving the dome!  :D

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted...hopefully Domesday will be soon!!  ;P  

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your making headway! You will need a 20' straight edge to put your level on, maybe screw together a couple of 12' 2x4 , nice straight ones, this will help establish the elevation of your blocks. If you use some blocks for the center of your circle, it will take any bounce out of the floor and you could use shorter floor joist, that will save some money.

    ReplyDelete