Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2019

A Mystery Afoot...or Ahoof...

So I just got home a little while ago, and started lugging a bale of hay down to the goat pen.  I had left the goats penned this morning because I left for work super early, and I knew they would have finished the bale of hay that was in there.

I was carrying the bale of hay on my back (NOTE - this should only be done while wearing a hooded jacket with the hood up, or you will get itchy hay down the back of your shirt!!), so I was walking kind of bent over, with my eyes on the ground.  I was about halfway to the pen when I noticed something...a small, cloven hoof print, and fresh goat droppings (AKA tiny Tootsie Rolls, if you ask the dogs).  


I thought, "Uh oh..." and suddenly forgot that the hay was heavy as I booked it over to the goat pen.  

I dumped the hay and peered into the pen...empty.  Botheration!!

The issue is that there is a bunch of hay built up on the floor of the pen.... I've left it because I figure it makes pretty good bedding.  But my pallet gate doesn't always close all the way unless I kick the hay out of the way.  And looks like I didn't kick it away well enough last night, and the goats were able to squeeze through the gap.  And because the gate is a part of the fence when it's open, they were then able to waltz right outside the fence.  

Sigh.

So I looked around at the big empty field, and decided I might as well see if the goats were in hearing range.  So I hollered, "Goats, goats, goats!!!" And then tried baa-ing...it was a pretty awful attempt, and I hope my neighbors didn't hear it.  :P 

Then - o happy day!! - I heard rustling from the other side of the pen... and four little faces peered around the corner at me.  Hooray!  I'm very glad I didn't have to go wandering through the trees looking for them!  


The boys came right over when they saw I had fresh hay, but Rhode decided to be a princess and had to be convinced to step over the little puddle outside the pen.  

So my four little explorers no doubt had a grand day, but I'm happy to report that they're now tucked safely back into their pen with a fresh bale of hay.  :P 

And I've learned a lesson about making sure I properly secure the gate!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment