Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Four Little Packages

I went to visit my friends Terri and Mark at 4 Ewe Farm today; they have the equipment to process chickens, and had offered to help me with my four extra roosters.  It was definitely sad to see the boys go, but in my mind, this is a necessary part of working toward having a self-sustaining homestead.  The deed was done efficiently, and I have the satisfaction of knowing that the chickens were raised humanely.  I'm looking forward to my first taste of homegrown, heritage breed chicken - I've heard it's VERY different from what you buy in the grocery store!


Eventually I would like to have a separate pen for young roosters so I can let them grow a little bigger before butchering them, but that's a project for another year.

So now I have ten hens, and one rooster.  I wonder how this guy feels about waking up and suddenly being King of the Coop?  :P


I was also excited to visit Mark and Terri because they have 3 Scotch Collies.  I felt like I was meeting celebrities, because I've seen Terri's dogs on one of the Facebook groups I've followed for 3 years now, so it was awesome to meet them in person.  They're all gorgeous and wonderful dogs, each with his or her own personality:

Jack, old but still the dignified Farm Manager.  He's pretty much the epitome of an old-fashioned farm Collie.  


Vega, a busy, bossy blue merle girl who reminds me a lot of Thea.  She's wicked smart, and loves her job of making sure the other dogs don't get too close to the chicken butchering area, lol.  



And the youngster, Quid, who is goofy and easy going, and supremely handsome:



So it was a good day.  I'll let you know in a few days how the chicken tastes!  :) 

Happy Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment