Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2019

A Slightly Rocky Patch

So Thea and Nala don't get along.  I'm honestly not too surprised... my family and I have said for a long time that we believe Thea would do best going to a new home where she could be the only dog and not have to share anything, as sharing really isn't her forte, lol.  I actually started advertising Thea on various pages and sites a few weeks before Nala was due to arrive, but there hasn't been a ton of interest.  She's going to visit one potential new home tomorrow night, though.

I actually thought the girls were doing okay for the first few days, but then Saturday night and Sunday morning, they fought.  I'm sure it doesn't help that Nala came to me in heat, so there are extra hormones involved, but I would be very surprised if they were peaceful even after the heat ends.  I've been praying for wisdom and clarity, and I would appreciate it if my friends who know Christ would do the same... this is not an easy decision.


Anyway, some other updates... I finally caved and bought a propane camping stove the other day, after spending a good chunk of time trying to cook breakfast over a campfire in the rain, lol.  It works awesome!  :D


Another dog update...as I said, Nala came to me in heat.  I went back and forth a million times about whether to breed her now, but finally decided to wait for her next heat.  So I'm looking forward to the first litter of Scottish Collies at Butterscotch Farm late next summer.  ♥️


The chickens and goats are doing well.  I'll probably process my extra roosters sometime in the next few weeks...THAT will be quite the learning curve!  😳


(This one is Rusty...he has a drinking problem, LOL!!  I'm not kidding... I think he probably drinks three times as much water as anyone else... he's obsessed!!!)

I moved the goat fence last week, as they had pretty much grazed their pasture as much as they were going to.  Lol, that was entertaining!  I need to work on my technique... I ended up with a ridiculous tangle of wire - so tangled that I ended up cutting it and just splicing it back together!  It was kind of pointless, too, as I didn't gain much pasture, and they had that stripped within just a couple days.  I want to move it again soon, and this time I want to encompass the little grassy hill in their field - that ought to keep them busy for a while!  


Now I need to figure out what needs to be done before winter.  I probably need more firewood, and I need to hook the woodstove up, lol.  I also need to decide if the goat shed is staying where it is, and if so, I will need to button that up a little more, and come up with some way to store hay - I've just been buying a bale or two as needed, but I'll want to stock up for the winter, as the goats will eat a lot more in order to stay warm.

The dome itself is coming along... once Dad builds me a couple bookshelves, and once I pick up a table and chairs from a friend, I think I'll be pretty much done as far as furniture.  Oh, and I could use some sort of tall, very skinny pantry cupboard.  But I got some more organizing done the other day, and it's very satisfying to see things coming together.  :)

Anyway, I guess I will end this lengthy post, lol, and go pump some water for my goats!  :P 

Happy Thursday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment