Pages

Friday, September 13, 2019

Lots of Pictures

I used the big camera today...lol, whenever I go into the chicken pen with that camera, I end up taking a million gazillion photos...so this is going to be a very photo-heavy post.  

First, though, look at this - Dad built me bookshelves...and I got all my books onto them!!  :D  Mind you, they're stacked two deep, and sometimes on top of each other, too, but that's okay...I'm just glad to have them all out of boxes finally.  I also have my kitchen table set up (thanks to Jason and Jess for giving it to me!), even though it has stuff piled on it currently, lol.  The "bathroom" is tucked behind the bookshelves, with a privacy screen for a door.



Here's Nala pacing around the chicken pen.  I need to figure out how to train her not to do that...she does it relentlessly when she's off leash.  Thane is very gentle and sweet with the chickens - he can be in the pen with them off leash - but I have no doubt that the two girls would kill the whole flock in short order if given the opportunity.  Thea actually came really close last week - she slipped past me into the pen and nearly killed Snow White and Houdini!  So I've got my work cut out for me with those two.  


And now the chickens...they're getting bigger.  I'm not sure when they're considered full grown, but it's possible that they'll start laying eggs in the next few weeks, so I would imagine they're probably getting close to their full adult size.  

Frosty:


Houdini...she was limping for a couple days after Thea's attack, but seems okay now:


One of the boys.  A friend offered to let me bring the four boys over to her place, and her husband will show me how to butcher them.  That'll be happening in mid October - Icelandics aren't a super large breed, and so they should be at least 4 months old when butchered; six months is better.


Another rooster.


Mentally preparing himself to crow:


And....there he goes.  Lol, usually when one crows, it sets the others off, and they go back and forth for a few minutes.  :P 


Here are the gorgeous colors on my new rooster.  He seems to be settling in pretty well, though I haven't specifically noticed him crowing yet.


Frosty again:


And Little Miss Floofle.  :)  She's still floofly, lol, and almost seems to have a slightly different body shape/posture than the other birds.  She also is pretty small, and still peeps like a little chick.  But she seems healthy and happy!  


Pumping water for the dogs...a friend suggested putting a small greenhouse over the pump for the winter to keep it from freezing...I love the idea!!


Thane listening to something.  He tried VERY hard to become a daddy with Nala last week, LOL!!  I am 99% sure that I kept that from happening, but we'll know for sure in about 2 months.  ;P


Lotus browsing on top of the hill in the goat pasture.  The goats heartily approve of the current location of the fence, surrounding this hummock:


Here you can see the whole hill:


Goat vignettes:





Happy Thursday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment