Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2019

Ideas for Using Fleece

I still haven't done anything with all that fleece I bought a super long time ago.  I have a spinning wheel, but the more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to suspect that I might not have the right level of patience to learn to spin yarn, much less do any knitting or crocheting with it.  Maybe someday, but probably not any time soon.  :P  

I spotted this little toy at an antique store a few months ago, and that inspired me to think outside the box and come up with some different things to make from my epic fleece collection.  



So today, I asked the members of a Facebook group that I follow for ideas on different things one can do with fleece, and here are some of the answers:

1. Felt it (you can put a layer of felt on a bar of soap, or you can create felted objects like purses, ornaments, hats, slippers, dryer balls, scarves, toy animals...)

2. Sell it as is, or washed and carded into batts

3. Make an ugly Christmas sweater - LOL!

4. Use it to insulate water buckets for livestock (place the fleece into a large bucket, then place a smaller bucket full of warm water inside the first bucket, nestled in the fleece)

5. Use it to insulate bee hives

6. Add small balls of it to potting soil to help retain moisture

7. Use it as insulation inside the walls of a building (barn, chicken coop...even a house, though it would definitely need to be washed first)


9. Use it to make a super warm quilt

10. Use it to keep slugs from getting into your garden (apparently they don't like to crawl across it)

11. Use it to stuff dog beds

So that gives me some cool ideas to work with.  I like how many options I have...makes me excited to own sheep someday.  :D  

And one nice thing - if all else fails, I can just compost the fleeces.  


No comments:

Post a Comment