Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Land Layout Idea #1

I spent an hour or so today drawing out an idea for how I'll lay out the 4 acres I'll be starting with.  I'm sure this will change many times over the next few years, but you gotta start somewhere!

Here's the Google maps image of my land below.  The blue line marks the approximate boundaries of the acreage that I own.  The red lines show the 4 acres I'm taking out of timber tax to build on and (eventually) (with LOTS of super hard work) turn into pastures for a small homestead-type farm.


The picture below is one possibility for laying out the 4 acre chunk.  (If you can't see it very well, I did zoom in a bit in the next couple of photos.)


Zoomed in a little more.  I'll leave trees between me and the neighbor for privacy, as well as between the road and my pastures.  I want to put up a nice, tall fence around this whole section as well, both for privacy, and to help contain dogs and livestock.


And zoomed in even more.  The reason the pastures are all chopped up into small pieces is that I want to employ rotational grazing.  I need to do more research on how that works, though, to see if my pasture layout is a good one.  I know many people use movable electric fence rather than permanent fences.  


I haven't fully settled on where I'll put the dome, but it makes sense to put it near where I want the house, so that if I get a well, septic, and a solar system before I build the house, I can tie the dome into those systems.  And I definitely want the house in the top corner, so as to have maximum privacy from neighbors.  So far I only have neighbors on one side, but I don't know if whoever owns the lot on the other side will be building eventually.  

So we shall see.  This will definitely be a VERY long-term project!  :P  

1 comment:

  1. This looks like an awesome start! I wish you all the happiness and fun! :)

    ReplyDelete