Pages

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Shower Bombs...Try #1

So I tried making shower bombs today.

If you haven't heard of shower bombs...you moisten baking soda, add essential oils, and press the mixture into a mold.  Once they're dry, you can drop them in the bottom of the tub/stall while you take a shower and let them dissolve for a steamy, aromatherapy experience.

Why the sudden inclination to make shower bombs?  Well, I've been trying for a while now to think of things I can make as a small, in-home business so that I can become a hermit.

(Not really.  I don't believe hermitage is a Biblical concept.  But I would like to be working at least partially from home within a couple years.)

Anyway.

Shower bombs!

It was fun...even though I did pretty much everything wrong!  

This first batch I added way too much water:


They smell nice, though!  They're a blend of Peppermint, Spearmint and Eucalyptus...this one'll probably be a real sinus opener!  It reminds me of the Mint Medley tea that my sister and I like.  :)  We shall see if they dry out enough to be usable.  

My little collection of essential oils...lots of possibilities here!!


Next I decided to make a Lavender Orange.  I also decided to try using a scoop of the Citric Acid I had purchased because some recipes call for it.  It makes the shower bombs fizz when they get wet...but there's clearly some trick to keeping the shower bomb MIX from fizzing.  And I clearly don't know that trick.  






So while the Lavender Orange fizzled merrily away, I gave that batch up as lost and went back to the plain baking soda mixture.  This time, I think I put the right amount of water in!  The mixture should be like damp sand that keeps its shape when you squeeze it.  


This is a blend of Lemon, Lime, Orange and Peppermint.  I'm not a big citrus fan, but I think it smells nice, and should be very pleasant and refreshing in the shower.  :)  

After that, I decided to give the (still fizzing) Lavender Orange one more chance, spooning a small amount of the mixture into a few cells of the mold, but...well...you can see how well that worked: 


It got even messier later, and is now a crusty, unusable mass that will have to be soaked off.  Oh well.  Live and learn - and research more next time!!

I'll let you know how well they work!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment