Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2021

Comings and Goings

 I've been super busy the past few weeks...my newest batch of chicks came this past Wednesday, and I was hoping to get the new coop ready before they arrived. Even with a couple days of help from Dad, I didn't succeed, but they're happily ensconced in a whipped-together brooder pen with their adoptive mother for now. They'll be fine in there until we get the coop done.

Here's Snow White and her brood of 26 Icelandic chicks, who came to Maine all the way from Wisconsin...in the mail! Getting one of my broody girls to accept the chicks was a bit harrowing - it went very smoothly last year with Buffy, and I was counting on her to be the mama again this year, but she was kind of grouchy about these new arrivals. Thankfully, Snow White stepped in, and she seems very proud of her little flock, lol. 





My blog post is titled "Comings and Goings..." the chicks represent the "coming," and the "going" is Henry. That's right...my sweet, goofy boy is traveling to South Carolina next week. He's going to do a board and train on a friend's farm, and will likely sire a couple farm Collie litters. In fact, I may even get a pup back from him. I don't know whether he will make his way back to me....Thane would probably not accept him back here once he's gone, sadly. I'm sure I'll cry buckets when he leaves, but I'm also excited to see how he does in a real working home. 💗


In other news, the cats are doing well. Bartholomew continues to rule the homestead. He's being awesome with the new kitten - they play with each other whenever I give Purrcy time to run around. 


Well, time for me to head off to work. It's going to be a crazy summer...in fact, I have to update Breeze's puppy waiting list, because I've determined that my work schedule won't permit me to breed her for a fall litter...I will plan to breed her next winter/spring. 

Anyway...here's a sweet little Strawberry flower in closing! I hope everyone has an awesome weekend! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment