Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2020

Bit by Bit!!

 The cottage is coming along bit by bit, thanks to Dad, our friend Paul, and occasionally me, lol. Dad and I got more windows installed on Monday, and some more framing done.  Then he and Paul continued to work Tuesday, Wednesday and today, installing windows, building soffits, and doing lots of site cleanup. Here's what it looked like this morning... isn't this spectacular?? ♥️♥️♥️




One of my favorite features is this big bank of windows. Eventually they will hopefully be looking out over pastures.

I forgot to take a picture before it got dark, but today Dad and Paul installed the front door. They also draped a huge tarp over the roof, as the tarpaper is falling off and we're expecting rain tonight.

Thanks, Dad and Paul! It's very humbling to think that I will be warm and cozy in my little cottage this winter because of the time and hard labor donated by you two and others. ♥️

In other news, I'm now getting more eggs from the four ducks than from my eight mature hens. I think the chickens are moulting. 

Also, Kat is in heat, so poor Thane is having a sad time because I have to keep them separated. Kat has come to work with me the last couple of days and has done very well - she's a sweetie.

Going back to the chickens, I have a slightly funny farm story. So... sometimes chickens will eat their own eggs. This, of course, is an annoyance because then you don't get to eat the eggs. I was sure that was what my chickens were doing, because I would have a hen sitting on a couple eggs one day, and the next day there would be none. Well, as it turns out, they haven't been eating them ALL... when I was in the coop this evening, I spotted something white down in a crevice by the nesting box. I shone my flashlight down there, and saw some eggs. I pulled them out, and found a total of four eggs that had rolled away and been lost. I'm just glad I found them before they turned into rotten eggs and exploded!! 😬

Anyway, I hope everyone is having an awesome week. Happy Thursday!! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment