Pages

Thursday, December 5, 2019

Evening Routine

Chores have definitely turned into a routine for the most part by now, with only the occasional unusual event, lol.  I'm grateful that I don't have a ton of livestock yet for this first winter.

Most days, it's dark when I get home.  I say hi to the Collies, wrestle open the gate, and unlock the door, all while juggling whatever I've lugged home that day.  

Often I dump my stuff and start a fire first thing... the insulation has helped a LOT, but I'm often gone for 12-14 hours, and the temperature will drop to anywhere between 35-50 F, depending on what the day was like.


Then, while the fire is doing its thing, I switch from my work shoes to my rubber boots, grab a flashlight, and head out the door to check on the critters.

First stop is usually the chicken coop.  I peek in to see whether Floofle has decided to roost with his friends, or whether he's a despondent huddle of feathers on the floor.  The latter has been happening a lot lately, so I go inside, pick Floofle up, and put him next to the other chickens so he can stay warmer.  Here he is looking slightly resentful after I've relocated him: 


Next I head down to the goat pen, usually with a gallon of water.  I was using a big bucket that could go a few days without needing to be refilled, but it kept freezing, so now I just refill a small bucket twice a day.  I check to make sure the goats have plenty of hay, then say goodnight and tie their gate shut for the night.

Sorry, I didn't think to take a picture of the goats in their pen, but here is a nighttime view of their field and the trees behind it.


I head back up to the dome after that, and bring in a few armloads of firewood.  I give the dogs more kibble if they ate what was in the bowl, and put away groceries and other supplies.

Finally, if I didn't work a late shift, I can fix some tea and relax with a good book and with two Collies at my feet (or periodically trying to crawl into my lap, in Nala's case, lol).  :P


Happy Thursday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment