Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2019

The Gingerbread Dome

My brother Timothy spent all day Tuesday helping me insulate the dome... I would say it's about 90% done now.  There are a bunch of little gaps I need to fill in, because fastening rectangular batts of insulation to a spherical surface doesn't exactly work, lol.  

I already notice a big difference, though, even with the gaps - yay!!

I decided to go with Rockwool batts, which were recommended by my friend Scott, who is a contractor.  This kind of insulation is way healthier to work with than fiberglass, and is moisture and flame resistant.

We wired it to the struts - "we" meaning mostly Timothy, as we only had one tall ladder, and we pretty quickly reached a height where the ladder was a necessity.  Thanks, Timothy!!

The only bummer is that this stuff is wicked ugly, lol.  I want to find some way to cover it (with sheets, maybe??), but until then, it looks kind of like I'm living in a spherical gingerbread house.

Ah well... better to be warm, and have ugly walls, than to come home to 15 degrees Fahrenheit inside!!  :P

Happy Thursday!


1 comment: