Pages

Monday, February 11, 2019

I Think I Need a Pack Mule!!

The current plan is to use cinder blocks as a foundation for the dome....and it occurred to Dad and me the other day that it might be easier to transport them while there's still snow, since the ground is quite uneven and a cart or wheelbarrow might not make it, whereas a sled can slide over the packed snowshoe trail.  

So today I got started on the Great Cinder Block Migration of 2019.

First, I installed steps in the 4-foot-high snowbank along the road, because we've discovered that getting up and over that bank in snowshoes is a rather ticklish business:


Then I loaded up a few blocks in the epic sled that I bought the other day.  I was disappointed to discover that I can't put 4 blocks flat in the bottom, but it worked okay to have them at an angle.


In case you're curious, each cinder block evidently weighs between 30-35 pounds (I Googled it).  By the second trip to the dome site, which is about 400 feet back from the road, I was thinking that a pack Mule might be a nice addition to Butterscotch Farm...


There were a few oopsies along the way...


...but by the end, I had a nice little pile of 13 cinder blocks near the dome site.  (I wonder how many cinder blocks I'll need to support a 20 foot dome??)  Next time we get a pallet at work, I'll bring one over and pile the cinder blocks on that instead, so they don't get lost in the snow. 


Below is the dome site that I'm leaning toward - kind of tucked up against the trees to the right.  It should stay fairly shady there - important, since I probably won't have air-conditioning.  The gray water guy is coming tomorrow and should be able to tell me whether the soil is suitable in this location.


The pooches are greatly enjoying all the extra outings these days.  :) 


Happy Monday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment