Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

A Slight Change of Plans

So I had the site evaluator out today to check and see if my dome site had good enough soil for a gray water system. 

Sadly, it didn't.  He dug down to the ground (through about 2.5 feet of snow, lol)...and then dug a small test pit...and then used an auger to check the soil type.  By the second or third plug of soil he pulled up with the auger, the soil was literally dripping.  


Obviously, saturated soil isn't ideal for installing a drainage system.  So we moved a bit further along the back part of the 4 acre section, but even though it was a bit more dry there, it still wasn't ideal, and would involve a 2-3 foot high pile of gravel permanently installed next to my dome.  

We started looking for higher ground.  There are one or two little knolls on the property, though unfortunately, they're closer to the road...and closer to the neighbors.  I really wanted to be all the way in the back corner, but it seems that I don't have a ton of choice in the matter.  We dug one final hole on a slight incline, and that one had acceptable soil.  

So here's my new dome site, tucked back in this little nook:  


(And yes, I'll be taking down that leaning oak on the left....)

For another point of view, here's a Google Maps image.  The blue line is my whole property.  The red line is the 4 acres I'll be taking out of timber tax.  The yellow "x" is where I wanted to put my dome, and the orange "x" is the approximate location of where the dome will now be going.  


So I guess that's that!  At least it's a bit shorter route for me to lug my cinder blocks in, lol!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry things didn't go as planned. I am happy that you found a spot and can set your dome up still.

    ReplyDelete