Pages

Monday, September 10, 2018

Starting My Natural Fence

Lol, it's been a while since I've done a more farm-related post.

Today was a big day...this was the first time I actually did something on my property other than wander around.  

I started a fence - and not just any fence, but a natural one!  I did some research a while back on different options, and stumbled across a few ideas for natural fences.  There are some really neat ideas out there, but there was one in particular that made sense for my property, since it utilizes something that I have LOTS of - branches and brush.

Here are a couple pictures from today:




(Note - the orange tape marks one corner of the 4 acres I'm taking out of timber tax.)

Hopefully you can see these okay.  Basically, you use stakes or trees spaced a couple feet apart, and lay branches and brush in between them.  I used metal posts today because that's what I had on hand, but eventually I'd like to replace those with 8-foot wooden stakes and increase the fence height to 5-6 feet.  The snow gets deep out here - I need a tall fence so the dogs can't just hop over it in the winter!!

I'll start with the four acres I'll be building on, but over a period of a few years, I'd love to encircle the entire property (with a few holes for gates, of course!! :P ).

I think my "helpers" will be very tired of watching me drag around sticks by the time this thing is done.  Lol, maybe I should train them to help!!


No comments:

Post a Comment