Pages

Friday, August 11, 2017

The Taming of the Shrubs

Made some progress on another yard project today...many thanks to my coworker Kathy who came over to give me guidance, help, and moral support!  I've pruned the shrubs along the front of our house for years, but with little knowledge of the treatment of individual shrubs.  Kathy has years of expertise in landscaping, and was able to guide me and help me learn to assess what to cut and what to leave.

Here's the before photo:


You can see how the bushes were quite overgrown and didn't really have appealing shapes.  Kathy and I worked for an hour and a half, making selective cuts and removing a lot of dead branches.  We stepped back often to see how we were coming along - it's definitely helpful to see the big picture.

And...here's the end result:


I'm very pleased with how the bushes turned out.  I'll probably gradually lower their height; you're just not supposed to take too much off at once.  I want them to keep a nice shape but not block the view from the windows too much.

Next week I'll tackle the monstrosity at the right side of the porch:


Oh, hi, Thane!!  :D


Anyway, thanks again, Kathy!!  The bushes and I are greatly appreciative!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment