Pages

Monday, December 19, 2016

Butterscotch Candy Recipe - Attempt #1

So that was a first for me - as far as I can recall, I've never tried making candy before!  It was a nice easy recipe to get started with, and it came out pretty good, although not exactly what I was thinking.  
I don't intend for this blog to become all about recipes, but I'll definitely share some of the butterscotch recipes, just for fun.

I'm posting today's recipe below, but if you want a much more detailed description (and a printable version of the recipe), click here.  

It's really simple...you just need sugar, butter, molasses and salt.


Melt the butter (all of it!!!) over medium-low heat.

That's a LOT of butter!!
Stir in your other ingredients (1 lb. sugar, 4 oz. molasses, 2 teaspoons fine sea salt).


Bring the temperature up to medium or medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Use a candy thermometer, and once the candy reaches 250 F, pour it into an 8 or 9 inch pan lined with greased foil.


Let it cool for a while, then put it in the fridge to finish cooling.  Then you can take it out and slice it up - it's actually quite soft.  


It's yummy, although again, not entirely what I had expected.  It's buttery, and you can definitely taste the molasses...the texture reminds me of a soft, melty caramel.  (We'll see if it firms up a bit more in the fridge overnight.)  

You can cook it longer for a harder candy - or shorter for a butterscotch sauce to pour over ice cream (yum!).  I may come back to this recipe in the future and experiment with cooking it to different temperatures.

So.,,attempt number one...this is exciting stuff here!!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment