Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2021

H2O, Firewood, and Eggs

 So my well finally froze last week. Up until this point, it has generally worked to prime it with hot water on cold mornings... or occasionally attach one of my lanterns to it for a few minutes if the water wasn't quite enough to thaw the little bit of ice. 


But last week, I labored at the pump for 30 minutes, two days in a row, and could not get it going. I even tried piling hot coals around the base of the pipe. It must have a good, solid plug of ice somewhere in the line.

So, clearly, a better long-term solution is needed. I'm working on some ideas, and in the meantime, I'm back to hauling water from Dad and Mom's place, and occasionally melting snow on my woodstove. I even hiked back to the creek one of the first days. Like my technique for filling the jug? :P 


Here's the view on the way back to the cottage:

 


If you accurately guess the number of Collies in the above photo, I'll give you a free dog!! (Just kidding. :P )

We've been alternating back and forth between mild winter weather and some pretty chilly nights here in the Northeast... I do love waking up to a day when everything outside is sparkling with frost in the early morning sun.  This was Tuesday morning: 




I was actually just thinking this morning how grateful I am that God gave us a world to live in that is full of variety, beauty, and all kinds of intricate details. ❤️

Even the dogs had frosty whiskers that morning!!


The chickens might be starting to lay again...or at least, this year's pullets might be starting. I got this tiny egg yesterday. I still love finding fresh eggs in the coop! (And the dogs like the fresh eggs too. :P )



Today I decided to do something different... I've mostly been working in the house lately, trying to organize, declutter and decorate. I still have a long ways to go with that, but I also want to be making progress on outdoor projects. So today I fired up the chainsaw and did a couple hours of clearing. I took down a couple dozen saplings and small trees. Lol, in the picture you can't really tell what I accomplished, but I am beat!!! 😂 I think it was working in the snow that really did me in. There's maybe 6-8 inches on the ground, and it's like walking through loose sand on a beach.


I'm leaving a few trees up along the road, but eventually I want to have a few acres completely cleared for pasture, so I am more or less clear cutting this area. I can tell from today's work that this will be a lengthy project, as I have probably 2.5-3 acres to go, and cleared maybe a 10x30 foot strip today. 😂 But it's good, healthy physical labor, and I am looking forward to it.

Here's the little pile of future firewood I got out of today's work: 


And then the artistic view, which makes it look like I accomplished more... 😉


I'll have to have a nice big bonfire at some point to deal with all the small branches... unless anyone has creative ideas on things to do with them? 

Anyway, time to feed the dogs and head to bed!! I hope everyone is having a great week so far. ❤️

3 comments:

  1. I see ducks! Clearing small trees and brush, sounds familiar... We have been doing a weekly bonfire. The real fun is keeping the shrubs from just regrowing come spring. I love the layout of your cottage and barn area, so cute. but I am freezing just looking at it. And I kind of envy you having the freedom to be off grid. Harder with kids and hubby but I kind of miss my days of getting water from the creek. I didn't know you had a creek btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Not yet! Need to try soon... it's warming up!! :)

      Delete