Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Dome Sweet Dome

I've had a lot of people asking me what my dome looks like.  I've been kicking myself for not taking photos the first time I visited (in my defense, it was a VERY cold day), so today I went back and got a few pictures.  I also made a payment and signed a sales contract, so it's official now - the first residential building on Butterscotch Farm will be a dome!  :P  

Here's the exterior.  I know it's hard to tell how big it is...wish I had thought to put something next to it for scale.  I will say that it looks VERY small from the outside, but feels a lot roomier once you're inside.  It's 20 feet in diameter, though, and the little windows are probably 1.5 feet across.


And the view from the other side, where you can see the stove pipe.  When the stove is running, the snow will slide right off.  


Inside.  It's 12 feet high in the center, so it actually feels quite spacious even though the floor is only around 300 square feet.





Apparently it come with screens that can be zipped into all the windows for more ventilation in the summer.


The sellers are including all kinds of stuff, including this little mud room/storage space that they built off to one side.  In the current setup, this leads up into a large shed that they were going to finish out for extra living space; I may buy a shed and do the same thing.


The soapstone stove comes with the purchase.



Lol, I think the windows are cute.  :P  


It's quite a strong structure, but it could be assembled by one person (with a ladder) if necessary.


So there you have it!  I'm excited, because this means I can move onto my lot in the spring, rather than waiting several more months or another year to build a house.  And hopefully, with this living situation, I can pick away at the project of putting up my forever house over time and minimize debt.

The people selling the dome have been phenomenal to work with...they've been super kind and helpful, and will be throwing in all kinds of things with the dome, such as a generator, some appliances, and extra supplies.  And they'll even help disassemble it, move it, and reassemble it!!  They've said that they are just happy that the dome will be going to someone who will love it as much as they did.  

So once the ground is clear enough in the spring, I'll be moving to Maine and living in an off-grid dome with the dogs!  :D  

3 comments: